Why did you make this site?
There is a lot of confusion surrounding the Quran. Some say it's a book of compassion and peace, others say it's violent and discriminating. On this site you're presented with the translation of the Quran that's read by the largest amount of Muslims. You're also able to filter through the different Suras (Quranic verses) that encompasses a specific subject such as homosexuality, women and so on.
Which translation of the Quran are you using and why?
As a standard we are using the Muhsin Khan translation, since it is the translation most popular amongst Muslims and the translation that is most true to the original scripture.
Isn't it really about how you interpret the Quran and not so much about it's content?
If you compare the Quran to the Bible, which is very open to interpretation, you will notice that the Quran is written in a very different way and people are forced to read it in a very different way. The Quran is the perfect word of Allah and is supposed to be read as such. Since every word in the Quran is perfect, there's no interpretations in the same way as we see interpretations in the Bible.
Don't most Muslim say that you can't translate the Quran?
They most certainly do. The Quran is supposed to be perfect word of Allah, delivered to Muhammed, the perfect prophet. Since it is perfect, most Muslims claim that you can't translate it into any other language. Luckily for people who are not Muslims, Arabic was a language that already existed before Muhammed, so we can get a look into what the Quran is actually about.
See what the Quran has to say about different topics, such as women, violence & homosexuality. Read through the verses & form your own opinion.
1. Choose a topic · 2. Read & form your own opinion · 3. Hover on verse to share
- chapter1verse1endIn the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
- chapter1verse2endAll the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
- chapter1verse3endThe Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
- chapter1verse4endThe Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)
- chapter1verse5endYou (Alone) we worship, and you (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).
- chapter1verse6endGuide us to the Straight WayClarification on intolerance:"Show us the straight path, The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray."Muslims generally interpret "those whom Allah has favored," "those who earn Allah's anger," and "those who go astray" as Muslims, Jews, and Christians, respectively.
- chapter1verse7endThe Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace , not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).Clarification on intolerance:"Show us the straight path, The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray."Muslims generally interpret "those whom Allah has favored," "those who earn Allah's anger," and "those who go astray" as Muslims, Jews, and Christians, respectively.